So today's recipe is dedicated to one of my favorite new readers/commenters -- he not only made one of the recipes I posted, he also CAME BACK to the post and left a review. And it cracks me up a little to explain that (bear with me now) he's my cousin's wife's cousin's husband. So we're, like, totally not really related.
Anyway, here's a new twist on an old favorite that my husband and I used to make when we were newlyweds. I stole this recipe from The New York Times, but have added notes below about how I actually prepared it. Great for lunch or dinner in the summertime, and keeps well in the fridge for at least a few days. Rob -- let us know if your family likes it!
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, or a combination of parsley and other herbs, such as chives, tarragon, marjoram, basil, or mint (I used dried tarragon, basil and crazy salt, all of which happened to be in my spice drawer)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (I didn't have one, so I skipped it -- but would probably taste good)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (I used a bunch of grape tomatoes, halved)
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, sliced (optional -- I didn't have any, so I skipped it)
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and quartered lengthwise (I used about 2/3 of a can of medium black olives, halved)
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (I probably used a generous ounce -- love love love the feta)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I never have lemons in the fridge, so I used the bottled stuff)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or sherry vinegar (I used red)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or put through a press
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and crushed or coarsely ground (Not sure what the difference would be, but I just used the powdered cumin spice I had in the house)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- Toss together the salad ingredients.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, olive oil and yogurt.
- Toss dressing with the chickpeas, etc.
- I added chopped cucumber.