Then I accidentally ate the most delicious sweet and savory kale side dish at a friend's house and discovered a new love for the super healthy green. Here's the recipe (taken from allrecipes.com), along with my annotations.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used the pre-minced garlic in a jar)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used honey mustard)
- 4 teaspoons white sugar (would recommend using less than that -- I used 2 tsp agave)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups stemmed, torn and rinsed kale
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (I used Craisins)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mustard, sugar, vinegar and chicken stock, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the kale, cover and cook 5 minutes until wilted.
- Stir in the dried cranberries, and continue boiling, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by about half and the cranberries have softened -- about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sliced almonds before serving.
Let us know -- what's your favorite way to serve kale?
Photo from allrecipes.com.