Life at the beach with two small children sets a very different agenda. Given that both Junius and Pippi like to be up to thank the sun for rising each day, there's not much I can do about wanting to sleep in. And as much as I love running around with them in the sand and surf and watching them fall in love with the beach, I still miss the days spending lounging with a book.
Then last week we discovered a way to improve the ratio of time spent sitting and reading to time spent splashing and chasing. I have give my friend Ashley full credit for this idea -- it's pure genius.
- Step 1: Dig a big hole in the sand. Preferably, put your husband and older child to work on this step.
- Step 2: Line the hole with a plastic shower curtain.
- Step 3: Fill the lined hole with water. This is a great opportunity to put your kids (and all their beach buddies) to work using the score of buckets you brought with you to the beach.
- Step 4: Load toys, mermaids, shells and buckets in and around the pool.
- Step 5: Place your children in the pool.
- Step 6: Pull your chair into the general vicinity of the pool. Sit your self down, lean back and bask in the brilliance while the kids entertain themselves.
For more Saturday Strategy, like what do to when your toddler poops in the tub or covers your carpet with parmesan cheese, check out these posts.