When I was working half-time after Junius was born, I discovered the most wonderful service: online grocery ordering from Lowes Foods to Go. Set up your grocery list online, place your order and set your pick-up time, then drive up in front of the store and let the store shopper load everything into your trunk -- you can even give them your coupons to credit toward your next order. If only they'd come home with you and put everything away, it would be perfect.
I don't use the service anymore (working less and trying to shop the bargains more), but I still use the Lowes Foods to Go holiday cookbook they gave away one year. The cookbook included this tasty, easy recipe that's perfect to take to a neighbor in need -- just be sure to make two at a time so you have one for yourself, too.
Chicken and Rice Bake
Makes 6-8 servings
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened (I actually use a whole 8 oz. container)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground back pepper
1 bag (16 oz) frozen broccoli, carrot and cauliflower mix – thawed
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant white rice
1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x13 baking dish.
2. Combine evaporated milk and cream cheese in dish with a wire whisk until smooth.
3. Add soup, water, garlic powder and black pepper. Mix well.
4. Add vegetables, chicken and rice.
5. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
6. Remove cover and top with cheese. Continue baking uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.
7. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Found the photo here, with the same recipe.